<--- View the Maps --->
40 Historical Maps
of the Eastern Hemisphere:
by Thomas A. Lessman
* Linked maps open in a new window.
Unlinked maps are not
complete or are
Sources are listed
on my TAL_Sources page.
(Early Humans to 3000 BC)
No Prehistoric maps currently finished.
Primeval History Maps
(3000 BC to 601 BC)
3 Primeval maps currently finished.
* 3000 BC * 2400 BC
* 2200 BC
* 2000 BC * 1800 BC
* 1300 BC
* 1200 BC * 1000 BC
* 900 BC
* 750 BC * 650 BC
* 625 BC
* Hittite Empire in 1300 BC
Ancient History Maps
(600 BC to 499 AD)
23 Ancient maps currently finished:
Medieval History Maps
(500 AD to 1500 AD)
13 Medieval maps currently finished.
* 500 AD
* 510 AD * 525 AD
* Hephthalite Empires in 500 AD
535 AD * 550 AD * 565 AD
* 600 AD
* 610 AD * 700 AD
* Kushano-Hephthalite Kingdoms in 600 AD
* Persian Sassanid Dynasty in 600 AD
* Sindh (Chacha Dynasty) in 700 AD
* Tibet in 700 and 800 AD
* 750 AD * 800
AD * 850 AD
* 900 AD
* 950 AD * 1000 AD
* Saffarid Dynasty in 900 AD
* 1025 AD * 1050 AD * 1100 AD
* 1150 AD * 1200 AD * 1250 AD
* 1300 AD
* 1350 AD * 1400 AD
Modern History Maps
(1500 AD to Present)
1 Modern map currently finished.
* 1500 AD
About the Maps:
I designed these maps using Adobe PhotoShop, and this background map that I pieced together from this topographical map. I have a copy of each map in its original PSD format which allows me to make improvements and update them if necessary. The maps on this site are optimized for web viewing, each map is saved as a JPG image with 72-bit resolution.
Map License Agreement:
I believe in sharing my work, but not giving it away! These maps are not "free" for you to do whatever you feel like. Instead they should be considered "shareware" that you may use only if you follow certain rules:
1. Foremost, you must have my permission to use the maps, which you can get by emailing me.
2. You must leave the maps as-is (unless you have my permission to edit them). You can request permission by sending me an email at email@example.com .
3. You must attribute the maps to Thomas Lessman, and note that they are available for free at www.WorldHistoryMaps.info.
TAL Map Sources:
* Each map takes a LOT of research using many different sources of information, which I've listed in my <TAL_Sources> section.
Disclaimer: These maps are only as accurate as the information that is available to me! Keep in mind that sources are often incomplete or conflict with other sources. I do the best I can with what I have!
I appreciate any information that helps improve these maps. If you see any possible errors, please (Email
Me) with sources to back up your claim. Important: I cannot make changes unless they are based on solid information!
All of my web maps are 72 bit resolution for easier web viewing. If you are interested in helping make corrections, here is the blank map (without borders or names) that I use. Copy that map, use a program like PhotoShop, GIMP, or Paint Shop Pro to edit the map and show your corrections, then Email
Me the map. I will make corrections as soon as possible.
1. Regnal Chronologies by Bruce Gordon,
2. Euratlas Maps of European History,
3. Wikimedia maps of World History
4. World History Maps by John Nelson
5. Maps of South Asia, Columbia University
Maps of South and Southeast Asia
6. DK Atlas of World History, 2000 edition.
7. FSmitha Macrohistory and World Report
8. Friesian School of Philosophical History, http://www.friesian.com/histindx.htm
9. Historical Map Resources at University of Texas.
10. Early British Kingdoms
11. History & Commercial Atlas of China
12. Various Wikipedia articles.
* See the TAL_Sources section for a more detailed list of sources used for each map!